Jesse Walsh is a High-school student who moves into Nancy Thompson's old house on Elm Street with his family and begins to experience nightmares about Freddy Krueger.
Kill for Me
Freddy enacts a plan to possess Jesse, using his body to kill in the real world, slowly gaining the strength to manifest his form physically. Freddy uses his powers to kill Jesse's abusive coach and attempts to kill Jesse's sister, though Jesse is able to resist. He confides his fear in his friend Ron and asks him to watch over him while he sleeps but as Ron himself passes out, Freddy manifests and murders Ron.
Jesse retreats to his girlfriend Lisa's house during a party, but Freddy again takes control, trying to kill her. Jesse fights back against his control and Freddy instead turns on the other teenagers present, murdering 6 party guests. Freddy travels to the boiler room where he would take his child victims while still alive. Lisa confronts Freddy and Jesse is able to finally regain control, exorcising Freddy. After this incident, while travelling on the school bus with Lisa, their friend Kerry is impaled through the chest by Freddy and the bus careers off the road, revealing Freddy is still alive and has again trapped Jesse. His fate is left ambiguous.
Jesse and Freddy's relationship is intended to have a homo-erotic subtext with Freddy representing Jesse's fear of 'coming out'. Commentators point to the lack of interest Jesse shows in Lisa and his retreat to Ron's bedroom after a failed attempt at having sex with her, implying Ron is the object of Jesse's affection. At one point in the film, he also ends up in a gay S&M club where he is confronted by his homosexual gym teacher, Schneider. This plot is not made obvious in the film though Krueger-actor, Robert Englund and writer David Chaskin both admit to the concealed subtext, indicating that the casting of openly-gay actor Mark Patton to play the role was intentional.
- His fate at the end of the film is ambiguous, but Mark Patton believes that Jesse is alive.
- Jesse along with Maggie and Lori are the only main protagonists who are in a single movie and do not appear again.
- Jesse is the only main Elm Street character that is male. The other protagonists (Nancy, Alice, Kristen, Lori & Maggie) are all female.
- Jesse is one of the 2 people that Freddy possesses, the other is Bill Freeburg.
- Jesse is the first known male survivor of Freddy Krueger.